[rhelv6-list] dhclient running TWICE during boot (RHEL 6.2)

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.net
Mon Apr 30 06:59:12 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 22:43 -0700, thomas at redhat.com wrote:
> > Can anyone explain how this is supposed to work and where I've gone
> > wrong?  Do other people see duplicated lease files for the same
> > interface when using DHCP?
>
> What does /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 look like? I
> generally set ONBOOT=no if I'm going to let NM manage the interface.
> What happens if you set ONBOOT=no and NM_CONTROLLED=yes? Do you still
> see the two dhclient processes?

It's ifcfg-Auto_eth0 actually, since it was created by NM.  And it has
ONBOOT=yes.  It looks like this:

        HWADDR=05:35:45:D5:F5:35
        TYPE=Ethernet
        BOOTPROTO=dhcp
        DEFROUTE=yes
        PEERROUTES=yes
        IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
        IPV6INIT=no
        NAME="Auto eth3"
        UUID=75a5eeaf-c5b8-45af-b5e9-e95589be7a35
        ONBOOT=yes
        DHCP_HOSTNAME=myhost

I was assuming that if ONBOOT was not set properly, then the interface
would not come up at boot time.  But maybe NetworkManager doesn't pay
attention to that value?  If so why is it there (note the above file was
created by NetworkManager, not by me).

I've never heard of NM_CONTROLLED before; is this documented somewhere?
I didn't see it in the docs.  Looking through what the scripts do, it
doesn't seem to me that this variable has much use.  It seems to set
USE_NM to true, but that's only used (as far as I can tell) to set the
UUID variable if we don't have one... which we do (see above).