[rhelv6-list] dhclient running TWICE during boot (RHEL 6.2)

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.net
Mon Apr 30 13:15:50 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 15:56 +0300, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> On 04/30/2012 03:44 PM, "Weiergräber, Oliver H." wrote:
> > For reasons I do not understand, this is exactly the default in RHEL
> > 6 - network connections is jointly managed by network and
> > NetworkManager.
> > I have also seen strange behavior under certain conditions which was
> > immediately rectified by turning one of the two services off!
> > IMHO users should be urged to decide which one to use - running both
> > seems to work most of the time, but is prone to errors...

> Both services can coexist but NetworkManager must be told to not
> handle the interfaces which are managed by the network service ( via
> the NM_CONTROLLED parameter )

But my problem is really the exact opposite of this.  That parameter
tells NM to not control an interface that I want managed by the
traditional "network" service (apparently...)

My problem is the interface is controlled by both and I want it
controlled by NM.  How do I tell the network service to NOT try to
control it?  Is setting NM_CONTROLLED=yes sufficient to tell the network
service to ignore that interface?  If so why doesn't it get set by NM
when it starts to manage the interface?  I've looked at the scripting
for the "network" service and I don't see where setting that parameter
will help.

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 13:07:43 +0000, Brian Long wrote:
> If you want to leave network and NetworkManager enabled on boot, you
> could set "ONBOOT=no" in your ifcfg-Auth-eth0 file.  I believe ONBOOT
> is only used by the network service and "NM_CONTROLLED" is used by
> NetworkManager.  I'm fairly certain that if ONBOOT=no, NetworkManager
> will still try to enable the interface depending on the GUI settings.

OK, I'll try this.  I'd really just like to understand what the
"correct" method is for this; how Red Hat designed it to work.  A little
documentation describing these flags and how the two services (SysV
network vs. NetworkManager) are intended to interact would be very nice.