[rhelv6-list] dhclient running TWICE during boot (RHEL 6.2)

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Apr 30 14:04:24 UTC 2012

Paul Smith (paul at mad-scientist.net) said:
> My problem is the interface is controlled by both and I want it
> controlled by NM.  How do I tell the network service to NOT try to
> control it?  Is setting NM_CONTROLLED=yes sufficient to tell the network
> service to ignore that interface?  If so why doesn't it get set by NM
> when it starts to manage the interface?  I've looked at the scripting
> for the "network" service and I don't see where setting that parameter
> will help.

The network script will use NetworkManager if it's running and redirect
ifup to a call to NM to start the interface. However, if NM isn't running
yet, it will bring the interface up itself.

That being said, NM *should* just take over the valid lease when it starts;
if it doesn't, something else is going on.

Bill