[rhelv6-list] Your opinion regarding NFS vs. iSCSI

Jussi Silvennoinen jussi_rhel6 at silvennoinen.net
Mon Apr 30 14:59:11 UTC 2012

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm going to plan the setup of a database-server (MySQL) and now a
>>> discussion started about
>>> how the storage should be connected. Some favour iSCSI,
>> others NFS (V4).
>>>
>>> What's your opinion? Where are advantages / disadvantages?
>> Which solution
>>> would promise
>>> most performance?
>>
>> Curious, SAN is not in your list at all. Why?
>> How important is your service availability to you?
>
> Hi Jussi,
>
> it's also in discussion :) And sure, the service IS important, database
> will be for mailbox-servers (Zarafa).
>
> Currently we're focusing on iSCSI vs. NFS as we don't have FC-equipment
> but already have 10Gbit ethernet..

I've gotten in to my flame retardant gear so here goes.

Ethernet ís single fabric meaning a single admin error or
unexpected end result of plugging new gear to it can bring the whole
shebang down. Post-failure less than joyful consistency check marathon is
sure to follow.

For me, that is unacceptable. I'd rather be enjoying my beer at the local
pub instead. FC SAN being multi-fabric, you have to try really hard to
break everything.

Whatever the transport technology is based on, ethernet, FC or snails on
steroids, if it has multiple independent fabrics, I'm willing to listen.
Otherwise, I'll pass.

I really don't see any need or use for FCoE. I do like the idea of a
single communications channel (redundant) but FCoE is a poor excuse for a
solution towards that. iSCSI is much simpler protocol but suffers the same
single fabric shortcoming.

Perhaps there are ways out there to do ethernet-based blockstorage
reliably that other list members know about, I'd certainly want to know
about them.

--

   Jussi