[rhelv6-list] How do I install glibc_2.14 on rhel6?

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Wed Aug 15 00:01:03 UTC 2012

On 08/14/2012 06:10 PM, Mirko Vukovic wrote:
> I want to install sbcl (steel bank common lisp).  However sbcl
> requires glibc_2.14.
If sbcl really needs glibc 2.14 ( which I doubt ), you cannot use it in
RHEL 6 unless you create a chroot where you install both sbcl and a
newer glibc. If the binary that you have found a newer glibc that but it
is not a hard requirement of the source (but the binary was built for a
different distro), see the options listed below.

> I did not find glibc_2.14 (and 2.15 and 2.16) rpm's for rhel6.
For as long as RHEL6 will exist glibc will stay at its current level

> Is compiling my own version the only other alternative?
There are at least 2 options here
- persuade the maintainer of the EPEL package to update it
- grab the source package from epel and the source of sbcl , edit the
spec file included in the source rpm and build a newer, updated version.