[rhelv6-list] How do I install glibc_2.14 on rhel6?

Mirko Vukovic mirko.vukovic at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 12:40:24 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Manuel Wolfshant
<wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:
> On 08/14/2012 06:10 PM, Mirko Vukovic wrote:
>>
>> I want to install sbcl (steel bank common lisp).  However sbcl
>> requires glibc_2.14.
>
> If sbcl really needs glibc 2.14 ( which I doubt ), you cannot use it in RHEL
> 6 unless you create a chroot where you install both sbcl and a newer glibc.

I am not familiar with details of chroot (other than what I read this
mornign on google).
Does that mean that the chroot would need to contain *all* other
libraries that sbcl would require?

> If the binary that you have found a newer glibc that but it is not a hard
> requirement of the source (but the binary was built for a different distro),
> see the options listed below.
>

>> I did not find glibc_2.14 (and 2.15 and 2.16) rpm's for rhel6.
>
> For as long as RHEL6 will exist glibc will stay at its current level

Thank you, I thought so.

>> Is compiling my own version the only other alternative?

A general question: Is it bad form to compile my own version of glibc
and place it in /usr/local/...

> There are at least 2 options here
> - persuade the maintainer of the EPEL package to update it
But the maintainer of EPEL sbcl would still need a new version of glibc, right?