[rhelv6-list] How do people keep track of third party software?

Mezei Zoltan mezei.zoltan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 06:49:31 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Eivind Olsen <eivind at aminor.no> wrote:
> I'm wondering how people recommend to keep track of / making sure third party software is kept up to date. Let's say you have >10 servers running RHEL6, and you have to install some third party RPMs on some of these servers as well as upgrading it every now and then (Oracle Java? vmware tools? Other software that doesn't have any official repository...).

Ohh, btw, vmware-tools actually has an official yum repository here:
http://packages.vmware.com/tools

Docs available here:
http://www.vmware.com/download/packages.html

According to vmware's recommendations you should use the rpms from the
matching vmware esx(i) version and OS version/architecture directory.
Its real pain to keep it managed, especially if you have different
esxi versions across the company though... :/

(The main source of the problem is that you would need to detect the
esxi version on a guest machine that doesn't have vmware-tools
installed. Anybody has some great ideas on how to do this?)
--
Zizi

"...nálatok a cégnél múltból nagyon sok van..."