[rhelv6-list] How do I install glibc_2.14 on rhel6?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Aug 25 14:02:27 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, August 15, 2012 08:40:24 AM Mirko Vukovic wrote:
> I am not familiar with details of chroot (other than what I read this
> mornign on google).
> Does that mean that the chroot would need to contain *all* other
> libraries that sbcl would require?

You can do some really cool things with chroot.  See http://www.network-crawler.de/index.php/Debian_within_SuSE for an interesting application of chroot to run a full Debian userland under SuSE (don't see why it wouldn't work in a similar manner on RHEL; I'm thinking of doing something like this with one of my SGI Altix systems here so that I can use an SGI ProPack kernel (which is only available for RHEL or SuSE) but use a more modern userland (such as Debian 6, which is available for IA64)).  User mode Linux is another way to do this....

Chroot (change root) does just exactly what it sounds like, and yes, you have to have all dependencies satisfied in the chroot for whatever is running in the chroot 'jail' or it will not run.