[rhelv6-list] jar command for .war archives missing from JDK

MJang mike at linuxexam.com
Wed Dec 12 00:19:56 UTC 2012

Folks,

I've been working with some .war archives, and wanted to use the jar command to
unpack, modify, and repack them. My understanding is that the jar command should
exist in an appropriate JDK RPM.

So I installed the java-1.6.0-openjdk RPM. The jar command isn't there. I didn't
see it in the java-1.7.0-openjdk RPM either (at least as built for CentOS 6.2).

I found the jar command in the JDK RPM downloaded from Oracle/Sun, but that made
me wonder -- is the jar command available from any Red Hat native RPM? Did I
miss something?

Thanks,
Mike