[rhelv6-list] jar command for .war archives missing from JDK

Darren Patterson darren.patterson at stanford.edu
Wed Dec 12 04:22:33 UTC 2012

I know this has already been answered, but I thought I would provide a tip on finding utilities:

Yum provides a great way to search using the 'provides' option (note the */ prefixed before the binary name):
# yum provides */jar

That will list all packages that contain a binary with the name 'jar' at any path.
-darren

On Dec 11, 2012, at 4:19 PM, MJang wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've been working with some .war archives, and wanted to use the jar command to unpack, modify, and repack them. My understanding is that the jar command should exist in an appropriate JDK RPM.
>
> So I installed the java-1.6.0-openjdk RPM. The jar command isn't there. I didn't see it in the java-1.7.0-openjdk RPM either (at least as built for CentOS 6.2).
>
> I found the jar command in the JDK RPM downloaded from Oracle/Sun, but that made me wonder -- is the jar command available from any Red Hat native RPM? Did I miss something?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Darren Patterson
Stanford IT Services