[rhelv6-list] How to mount a snapshot of a clustered VG on a third node?

Fran Garcia franchu.garcia at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 18:44:06 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Gianluca Cecchi
<gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a cluster of two nodes with CLVMD.
> I take a snapshot of a clustered VG with Netapp functionality.
> When a third node (standalone and not part of the original cluster)
> tries to connect to the snapshot and import the VG to make a backup,
> it complains about
>
> Skipping clustered volume group VG_....
>
> what would be the correct steps/commands to have this volume usable by
> this third node?

This is not a Netapp issue, but rather how RHEL (does not)
automatically activate clustered VGs. This is the expected behaviour
as, in a cluster, you'd have clvmd (clustered LVM daemon) taking care
of activating the VGs if the cluster needs it.

I haven't tested, but the procedure to activate the VG would be in the lines of:

vgchange --clustered n  YourVG
vgchange --available y

This assumes you're able to write some data into your PVs, so the
snapshot must be writable from the Netapp point of view.

Hope this helps