[rhelv6-list] jar command for .war archives missing from JDK

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Dec 12 05:39:20 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:09 PM, MJang <mike at linuxexam.com> wrote:
> Fantastic answer, thank you. java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel actually exists in
> the CentOS repos.

Yes, _all_ of the subpackages for the OpenJDK distribution should.

> When I saw JDK, it didn't occur to me that there'd have to be a separate
> -devel package for something named "development kit".

Again ...

  'If the "openjdk" distribution seems like it should mean JDK,
   understand this is, again, JPackage Project subpackage
   nomenclature.'

The distribution is "openjdk," meaning from the OpenJDK project, not
that it _is_ a JDK.  This is just like "sun" (or "oracle") is a
distribution, as well as "ibm."  Hence, under the JPackage Project
nomenclature, the need to grab the "-devel" subpackage to actually get
the JDK for the distribution (be it IBM, OpenJDK or Oracle/Sun).

--
Bryan J Smith - Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org - http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith