[rhelv6-list] Help with kickstart %pre

Hugh Brown hbrown at divms.uiowa.edu
Thu Feb 9 18:20:02 UTC 2012

On 02/09/2012 12:13 PM, Michael Coffman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to change the screen resolution that is used during the
> kickstart %pre section?   I use the pre section of the kickstart on
> RHEL4 and 5 to query the user doing the install for input.   RHEL4 and
> 5 default to vga with fairly large fonts.   As of RHEL6 it seems to
> discover the hardware and then adjusts the display.  The result is a
> very tiny font.   I do installs via a pxeboot server and have tried
> various options to the append line
> for the pxe kernel with no affect.  Any input would be greatly appreciated
>
> Thanks.

If the machines are using the nouveau driver, you can probably append
nouveau.modeset=0 to the pxe command line for the kernel.

I think that should give you back the old behavior.

You can also put a sleep in the pre section, switch to the vt on F2.
cat /proc/cmdline to see how the kernel got started and check to see if
there's an obvious parameter that can be adjusted.

Hugh