[rhelv6-list] App install in RHEL6 KVM physical host

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Thu Feb 23 13:22:28 UTC 2012

On 02/23/2012 03:30 AM, hai wu wrote:
> This is not about RHEV, just plain KVM.
>
> Are there any concerns when installing heavy app in RHEL6 KVM physical
> host?

There are considerations, of course. You can get as granular or as broad
with tuning as you like. You can do things like use numactl and cpu
pinning and control groups and sriov to really drive as much performance
to the VM as possible. You want to do things like use virtio instead IDE
for storage and network, things like that.

Without more info about what you are going to do, it's really hard to
give you a real recommendation. What is the workload you're thinking of
virtualizing?

I've got one customer who is running numerous Windows 2008R2 machines
running workloads from file and print to Exchange to Sharepoint as KVM
guests, and it's working just fine.

TC