[rhelv6-list] redhat bugzilla - marking bugz private

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Thu Jan 12 20:25:13 UTC 2012

On 01/12/2012 03:11 PM, Musayev, Ilya wrote:
> RedHat, why marking bugs as private - and denying access to 99.5% of its
> user base. On several occasions, BZ that I’ve opened became private – I
> never asked for it.

These are usually bugs with private client data in it. Red Hat has a
duty to protect the privacy of those clients, so it's a reasonable
default position to make those bugs private.

> In order for me to get the content of marked private BZ, i have to open
> a support case with RH and waste my time and support time on something
> as stupid as this.

It's not really stupid when you consider privacy.

> Maybe its easier to make a note on BugZilla and just say "PLEASE DONT
> POST PRIVATE/CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION – THIS IS A PUBLICLY VIEWED
> RESOURCE"? or ask a bug reporter to make this bug private from the get go?
>
> *If you really want to make a bug private – open a redhat support case
> and not public BZ.*
>
> If you happen to agree with what is mentioned here,  please voice your
> opinion – maybe someone from RedHat reads it and miracle happens.
>
> PS: Most of BZ referenced in release notes are marked private with a
> faint description of what could have been fixed – however since
> description is very brief, it makes me request BZ details over and over
> again.

As a user, I admit it can be frustrating to follow a link to a closed
bug. However, I understand their position. When they identify a problem,
they generally create a public page explaining the fault, it's fix and
what versions of RPMs the problem was resolved in. Personally, I think
this is reasonable.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"omg my singularity battery is dead again.
stupid hawking radiation." - epitron