[rhelv6-list] error communicating with RHN

Weiergräber, Oliver H. o.h.weiergraeber at fz-juelich.de
Sat Jan 7 07:55:56 UTC 2012

In the meantime I got a little closer to the root of the problem. First of all, the issue is temporary, and package lists on RHN are updated with the next successful connection. So in this respect, there are no consequences to deal with.
However, in subsequent attempts to directly install packages avilable on the web via rpm, I sometimes saw name resolution failures. When this happened, simply repeating the command was always successful! I'm on a private network using fixed IP addresses, and the DNS server entry is supposed to be the address of the router, which is supposed to handle things on its own. I never observed a problem like this on any of my machines, with RHEL or CentOS < 6.2, with the very same network setup.
So the question arises whether anything has canged in 6.2 which could make DNS resolution more "unstable". Maybe just a different (too short) timeout until name resolution is considered failed...?

Any ideas?
Oliver