[rhelv6-list] NFS no traslate UID,GID

Feldt, Andrew N. afeldt at ou.edu
Wed Jul 25 13:39:41 UTC 2012

On Jul 24, 2012, at 9:09 PM, Ian Mortimer wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 14:29 +0200, Tiziana Manfroni wrote:
>
>> Hi, I haxe a NFS server with NIS on RHEL6.3. When the client mounts a directory
>> the system doesn't traslate UID e GID but uses nobody.
>
> Is rpcidmapd running?
>
> If it is:
>
>   umount _the_nfs_share_
>   service rpcidmapd restart
>   mount _the_nfs_share_
>
> If it's not running:
>
>   umount _the_nfs_share_
>   service rpcidmapd start
>   chkconfig rpcidmapd on
>   mount _the_nfs_share_
>
> --
> Ian

Note that this is due to the fact that NFS mounts are done before ypbind is
started.  And, rpcidmapd now caches its results, so the translation to
'nobody' remains even after ypbind is started.  I consider this a bug that
will have to be addressed (maybe by starting ypbind before NFS mounts?)
so that NFSv4 mounts can truly function in an NIS environment.

Andy