[rhelv6-list] yum -q spews "Unable to read consumer identity"

daryl herzmann akrherz at iastate.edu
Sat Jun 23 21:14:53 UTC 2012

Well Howdy,

I have a cronjob on most of my boxes running 'yum -y -q update", since,
you know, RHN is unable to keep them update via Auto Apply Errata.
That's another discussion, anyway...

Since the 6.3 update, I am getting a daily cron email from each machine
noting (even though I have -q set :) ):

   Unable to read consumer identity

Anyway, searching around for this, I find this fun knowledge base article:

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/ko/node/78153

The solution proposed only works for RHEL5, so be sure to read the last
comment that says:

   RHEL 6 systems do not have a katello.conf file. Wouldn't it have been
   nice of Red Hat to say that, for RHEL 6 systems, edit the
   subscription-manager.conf file instead?

So it looks like I need to modify each system I have and tweak that
config file?!?

daryl