[rhelv6-list] RHEL 6.3 Released

Feldt, Andrew N. afeldt at ou.edu
Mon Jun 25 15:04:58 UTC 2012

Ian,

I went to verify the response I originally began for this
message and used other accounts than my own for testing
ls -l /home/username (before, I just used mine because
I first tested with that and found this problem).

To my surprise, I found that the id mapping works fine
for all of our user accounts *except* mine!  This
account has uid and gid of 900.  I have other accounts
with numbers below this, so it is not some minimum
cutoff.  I also have other accounts in my group
(all with gid 900) which map the username properly
but the gid for 900 is still shown as 'nobody' for
them (as expected since that is how it is shown for
my account.

I discovered a change in nfs-utils which provides the
new command nfsidmap (see its man page for details).
I find that, if I run 'nfsidmap -c' after booting
the problem is resolved.  It appears that there has
been a change in the way ids are mapped so that they
are cached. And, something in our boot process must
access my uid/gid (e.g. my account) before ypbind is
run and so these get cached as 'nobody'.  However,
this begs the question of the startup ordering of
rpcidmapd, ypbind and autofs since I have no
special script of any sort that is run in between
rpcidmapd and autofs.  I will try to dig into this
further, but we should not have to work around this
caching issue.

Andy