[rhelv6-list] RHEL6.2 XFS brutal performence with lots of files

Bohmer, Andre ten Andre.tenBohmer at wur.nl
Wed Jun 6 08:26:12 UTC 2012

> > I've been noticing lots of annoying problems with XFS performance with
> > RHEL6.2 on 64bit.  I typically have 20-30 TB file systems with data
> > structured in directories based on day of year, product type, for
> > example,
> >
> >   /data/2012/06/05/product/blah.gif
> >
> > Doing operations like tar or rm over these directories bring the
> > system to a grinding halt.  Load average goes vertical and eventually
> > the power button needs to be pressed in many cases :( A hack
> > workaround is to break apart the task into smaller chunks and let the system breath
> in between operations...
> >
> > Anyway, I read Ric Wheeler's "Billion Files" with great interest
> >
> > http://www.redhat.com/summit/2011/presentations/summit/decoding_the_co
> > de/thursday/wheeler_t_0310_billion_files_2011.pdf
> >
> > It appears there are 'known issues' with XFS and RHEL6.1.  It does not
> > appear these issues were addressed in RHEL 6.2?
> >
> > Does anybody know if these issues were addressed in the upcoming RHEL
> > 6.3? My impression is that upstream fixes for this only recently (last
> > 6 months?) appeared in the mainline kernel.
> >
> > Perhaps I am missing some tuning that could be done to help with this?
>
> Enabling lazy-count does wonders for workloads that involve massive amounts of
> metadata. Unfortunately it's a mkfs-time option only AFAIK.

Seems to be possbile to enable this on a unmounted xfs file system. From http://www.practicalsysadmin.com/wiki/index.php/XFS_optimisation :

quote:
Or with an existing unmounted filesystem:
xfs_admin -c 1 filesystem
This may take several hours on a large filesystem as the entire filesystem seems to be scanned.

Cheers,
Andre