[rhelv6-list] RH6.3 - rsyslog - broken reload section

Hugh Brown hbrown at divms.uiowa.edu
Thu Jun 28 14:06:27 UTC 2012

On 06/28/2012 08:13 AM, Henry Dorsett Case wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I always rotate logs using command: service rsyslog reload.
>
> After I upgrade my server from rh6.2 to rh6.3 I saw, that reload section
> in rsyslog init script don't send sighup to daemon.
>
> It's a bug or why you do this?
>
> /etc/init.d/rsyslog
>
>    reload)
>          exit 3
>          ;;
>
> Thanks.

We've always used logrotate to take care of that. Redhat provides a
logrotate.d/syslog snippit that will rotate

/var/log/cron
/var/log/maillog
/var/log/messages
/var/log/secure
/var/log/spooler

After it rotates them, it calls this (which you can use too):

  /bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid`

Hugh