[rhelv6-list] Manual bootstrap steps at first boot

Michael Coffman michael.coffman at avagotech.com
Wed Mar 14 14:29:30 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Darren Patterson <
darren.patterson at stanford.edu> wrote:

> Years ago it was possible to create an interactive init script that
> prompted on startup.  This isn't the case anymore, unlike on Debian and
> Ubuntu.
>
> There are two bootstrap steps that I need to need to prompt for at first
> boot as root.  Since I can't do that at boot, anyone want to offer some
> recommendations?
>
> I was considering just having root's shell skel files launch the script
> (then remove itself on success).  Is there a better way?

Would it be over kill to make use of firstboot?   It looks like you could
modify /etc/init.d/firstboot to point to your own set of python scripts to
do
custom config via

firstboot -m

I have not tried this, but it seems like it would work as a way to force
something the first time the system is booted.