[rhelv6-list] resolv.conf being overwritten by NetworkManager

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Fri Mar 16 14:43:20 UTC 2012

On 03/16/2012 08:06 AM, Hagberg, Keith wrote:

> Have a problem where the other day my /etc/resolv.conf file was
> overwritten and the file said it had been overwritten by
> NetworkManager. NetworkManager is not installed. My server has 8
> ethernet ports but I am only using 1 with a static address. Not sure
> how this is happening.

I cannot help with why its happening, but I can help with a solution.

Now days, regardless of whether 'network' or NetworkManager are in
control, if you want your /etc/resolv.conf to be specific, then set up
your primary interface definition to make it so.

In the file: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<iface>

You need to add all of your specific resolv.conf entries, such as:

DNS1="216.239.32.10"
DNS2="216.83.130.2"
DNS3="216.83.130.7"
DOMAIN="mydomain.com"
SEARCH="mydomain.com. yourdomain.com. otherdomain.com."

Good Luck!