[rhelv6-list] starting vncserver

Mirko Vukovic mirko.vukovic at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 19:48:12 UTC 2012

Hello,

I want to use vnc for remote desktops.  Server is a rhel6 and clients
on windows
and other linux machines.

I get an error when I issue "vncserver :1":

WARNING: The first attempt to start Xvnc failed, possibly because the font
catalog is not properly configured.  Attempting to determine an appropriate
font path for this system and restart Xvnc using that font path ...
Could not start Xvnc.

_XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
Warning: Xalloc: requesting unpleasantly large amount of memory: 0 bytes.

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't
already running
_XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
Warning: Xalloc: requesting unpleasantly large amount of memory: 0 bytes.

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't
already running
<<<<<

I have tried issuing this command on both the server (console) and the
client (remote) side.

I do not understand what is the meaning of the font catalog being
misconfigured.  Where can I
learn more about that?

Thank you,

Mirko