[rhelv6-list] vim 7.3

Greg Swift greg at nytefyre.net
Tue May 8 14:32:42 UTC 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux

For example, RHEL 6 was forked from Fedora at the end of 2009
(approximately at the time of the Fedora 12 release) and released more
or less together with Fedora 14. By the time RHEL 6 was released, many
features from Fedora 13 and 14 had already been backported into it.
The Fedora Project lists the following lineages for older Red Hat
Enterprise releases[9]:

    Red Hat Linux 6.2 → Red Hat Linux 6.2E
    Red Hat Linux 7.2 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1
    Red Hat Linux 9 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
    Fedora Core 3 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
    Fedora Core 6 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
    Fedora 12, 13 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6

So since RHEL6 only really had backported stuph from Fedora 13, thats
likely why.  Like Chris Adams said, its rare that a component's major
version changes inside a major version of RHEL, but if its going to it
tends to be either marketing or customer demand.  So, if you've got
business reason for it, demand it :)

-greg