[rhelv6-list] dhclient running TWICE during boot (RHEL 6.2)

thomas at redhat.com thomas at redhat.com
Tue May 8 21:02:10 UTC 2012

On 05/08/2012 02:17 PM, Grzegorz Witkowski wrote:
> I also got confused. With a support there is a SLA and engineer would
> often open a bugzilla with no SLA.

Sorry, should have been more clear. BZ's are used by engineering for bug
tracking. Sometimes those bugs are filed as a result of a community
member filing them (and thank you for doing so), others are filed by
internal Red Hat folks. In neither case is there an SLA *on the bug*

> Logically then SLA is negated. Am I missing something?

There is no SLA *on the bug* - the ticket may have an SLA guaranteed,
but the resulting BZ does not. Do you see the difference?

> Basically that also gives an impression that as long as there is no case
> open by supported customer RH does not really bother if there is a
> problem reported by community.

Not the case at all! I don't have access to any metrics (I'm in an
airport restaurant right now), but we fix a LOT of BZs filed by
non-paying community members!

To be sure, BZs are prioritized, and customer business-impacting
problems attached to support tickets with SLAs are going to take higher
priority than low-impact BZs where there is a small impact and/or an
easy workaround. I think that's reasonable - if you have an outage
that's affecting your ability to run your company, I think you'd want
our engineers focusing on that. I think you'd want a BZ which is
reporting an annoyance or a low-impact issue to take the back seat.

 > Maybe it should be reported back to
> Fedora to get it fixed there first and then maybe it'll make through to
> RHEL?

Not a bad idea, although certainly not a requirement. Because Fedora is
so fast moving, it may be that bugs would be easier to squash there.

The bottom line is, if you have an outage which is affecting your
business, BZ is not the best place to ask for help. Open a ticket with
our support folks so there is a real SLA around it.

Make sense?

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions!

TC
--
Thomas Cameron, RHCA, RHCSS, RHCDS, RHCVA, RHCX, CNE, MCSE, MCT
Chief Architect, Central US & Canada

For the 5th year running, JBoss leads in customer satisfaction:
http://www.jboss.com/pdf/customer_satisfaction.pdf