[rhelv6-list] dhclient running TWICE during boot (RHEL 6.2)

Grzegorz Witkowski geslinux at gmail.com
Wed May 9 07:16:18 UTC 2012

On May 8, 2012 10:07 p.m., "thomas at redhat.com" <thomas at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 05/08/2012 02:17 PM, Grzegorz Witkowski wrote:
>>
>> I also got confused. With a support there is a SLA and engineer would
>> often open a bugzilla with no SLA.
>

> Sorry, should have been more clear. BZ's are used by engineering for bug
tracking. Sometimes those bugs are filed as a result of a community member
filing them (and thank you for doing so), others are filed by internal Red
Hat folks. In neither case is there an SLA *on the bug*

>> Logically then SLA is negated. Am I missing something?
>

> There is no SLA *on the bug* - the ticket may have an SLA guaranteed, but
the resulting BZ does not. Do you see the difference?

>> Basically that also gives an impression that as long as there is no case
>> open by supported customer RH does not really bother if there is a
>> problem reported by community.
>

> Not the case at all! I don't have access to any metrics (I'm in an
airport restaurant right now), but we fix a LOT of BZs filed by non-paying
community members!

> To be sure, BZs are prioritized, and customer business-impacting problems
attached to support tickets with SLAs are going to take higher priority
than low-impact BZs where there is a small impact and/or an easy
workaround. I think that's reasonable - if you have an outage that's
affecting your ability to run your company, I think you'd want our
engineers focusing on that. I think you'd want a BZ which is reporting an
annoyance or a low-impact issue to take the back seat.

> > Maybe it should be reported back to
>>
>> Fedora to get it fixed there first and then maybe it'll make through to
>> RHEL?
>

> Not a bad idea, although certainly not a requirement. Because Fedora is
so fast moving, it may be that bugs would be easier to squash there.

> The bottom line is, if you have an outage which is affecting your
business, BZ is not the best place to ask for help. Open a ticket with our
support folks so there is a real SLA around it.

> Make sense?
>
> Please let me know if I can answer any other questions!
>
> TC
> --
> Thomas Cameron, RHCA, RHCSS, RHCDS, RHCVA, RHCX, CNE, MCSE, MCT
> Chief Architect, Central US & Canada
> 512-241-0774 office 512-585-5631 cell 512-857-1345 fax
> http://people.redhat.com/tcameron
>
> For the 5th year running, JBoss leads in customer satisfaction:
> http://www.jboss.com/pdf/customer_satisfaction.pdf

Hi Thomas,

That absolutely makes sense now.
Thank you for your prompt answer and clarification.

Kindest regards,
Grzegorz Witkowski