[rhelv6-list] Proper way to add to RHEL6's GDM?

Tom G. Christensen tgc at statsbiblioteket.dk
Mon May 21 09:39:22 UTC 2012

On 21/05/12 11:24, vincent at cojot.name wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Very interesting find indeed. BTW, would you mind sharing these custom
> sessions (especially the one with the real openssh agent)?

Sure but it's really very simple stuff.

Here's the one for running the real ssh agent:
$ cat /usr/share/xsessions/sshagent.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Name=GNOME with ssh-agent
Comment=This session logs you into GNOME
Exec=/usr/local/bin/mygs
Icon=
Type=Application

$ cat /usr/local/bin/mygs
#!/bin/sh
exec -l /usr/bin/ssh-agent /bin/sh -c "exec -l gnome-session"

I suppose it would somehow be possible to embed this in the desktop file
directly but I was not able to devise the right format for it, hence
this little wrapper instead.

Ofcourse you'll then want to disable the ssh agent function in
gnome-keyring, it can be done when logged in like this:
$ gconftool-2 -s --type bool /apps/gnome-keyring/daemon-components/ssh false

For the ~/.Xclients session I just do 'Exec=$HOME/.Xclients' in the
session desktop file.

-tgc