[rhelv6-list] Opinions on multi-head

thomas at redhat.com thomas at redhat.com
Wed May 30 17:52:45 UTC 2012

On 03/01/2012 09:18 PM, Benjamin Franz wrote:

> On 03/01/2012 02:27 PM, Krizak, Paul wrote:
>> As far as I know, ATI cards can only drive more than two displays if
>> you're using pure DisplayPort protocol. Using passive DP->DVI adapters
>> you can only drive two monitors.
>>

> ATI cards (in my case a 5770) are fine driving one monitor via an active
> DisplayPort->DVI adapter and two more by DVI directly for a total of
> three. It's the configuration I am running right now.

I wound up going with the ATI FirePro v4900 for triple head on RHEL6. I
am using the DVI port, and two DisplayPort to DVI cables to drive three
monitors.

An interesting note... The AMD binary driver locked up the machine.
Using the native RHEL driver, all three screens work, and I get
accelerated X and compiz works great.

--
Thomas Cameron, RHCA, RHCSS, RHCDS, RHCVA, RHCX, CNE, MCSE, MCT
Chief Architect, Central US & Canada

For the 5th year running, JBoss leads in customer satisfaction:
http://www.jboss.com/pdf/customer_satisfaction.pdf