[rhelv6-list] Weird issue with iptables

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Sat Nov 10 05:10:22 UTC 2012

On 11/09/2012 04:26 PM, Barry Brimer wrote:
>> The two systems I am looking at are at 10.0.2.3 (broken internet access)
>> and 10.0.2.6 (internet works fine). Both are Windows machines.
>>
>> I'm at a loss as to what I've done wrong. Why would some machines get
>> incredibly slow responses but others are snappy?
>
> Have you tried running ntop on the firewall?  That might help identify some
> network weirdness.  You also might try making hosts file entries for the
> working Yahoo! server on the non-working box and see if the problem follows.
> Along the same lines, you could switch IP addresses on the Windows machines and
> see if the problem follows the IP address or not.  You could also change switch
> ports, LAAs or even NICs to try and isolate.  If all else fails, Wireshark is
> your friend.

I used traceroute, tcpdump and several other tools and got nothing. On a
whim, I installed Firefox and it was back to being blazing fast.

I dug around in the internet "security" settings for IE and turned off
"protected mode." That seems to have fixed it.

The fact that this happened after I put in the Linux firewall appears to
be a coincidence.

Sorry for the noise.

TC