[rhelv6-list] How can I uniquely identify my disk in RHEL6 installed on Citrix Xenserver?

John Haxby john.haxby at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 09:07:17 UTC 2012

On 1 November 2012 06:30, neo3 matrix <neo3matrix at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, Can you tell me a way out to map disks on different systems?

Basically, you can't.   Hardware discovery is not deterministic.   There's
no reason why sda and sdb (say) should be assigned to the same physical
disk on successive reboots of a single machine.   If you're moving disks to
a different machine, even if it's an identical machine with the controllers
in the same slots there's even less chance.  You cannot ever rely on
/dev/sda being a particular disk.  Period.

I'm sure I said that before.

What you need are the UUIDs that identify specific file systems and
partitions, these do not change because they're actually on the media so it
doesn't matter where the disk is plugged in, it will always be the same and
it will always be unique.

jch