[rhelv6-list] bonding setup in RHEL6

Simon Reber S.Reber at lcsys.ch
Thu Nov 22 09:10:20 UTC 2012

Hi list,

I'm a bit confused about the bonding setup in RHEL6.
Some time ago I experienced difficulties configure bonding on RHEL6!

Then I found that instead of "alias bond0 bonding" one should use "alias netdev-bond0 bonding" instead.
Now I have several servers configured using "alias netdev-bond0 bonding" and they work just perfect.

But last week we migrated a server to a new datacenter where we have the ability to configure bonding.
We configured the server using "alias netdev-bond0 bonding" and bonding failed. We then switched back to "alias bond0 bonding" and bonding started working immediately!
	Please note that all our servers are running the same patch level of RHEL6.2 - so there is no way that we have any difference between patch levels

Looking at the documentation I see lots of information about "netdev, bonding, etc." - but the RHEL 6 documentation says that one should use "alias bond0 bonding":
	https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/s2-networkscripts-interfaces-chan.html
	https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/sec-Using_Channel_Bonding.html

So I was wondering if someone could probably shed some light on that topic as it is very unclear to me (https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/solutions/56496)

Thanks and all the best,