[rhelv6-list] why do errata and package updates fail?

thomas at redhat.com thomas at redhat.com
Tue Oct 9 16:18:09 UTC 2012

On 10/09/2012 11:10 AM, Mirko Vukovic wrote:
> yum update installed 26 packages.  The system shows as up-to-date on RHN.

Without seeing the logs from the previous commands, it's almost
impossible to tell what happened.

> It is still unresolved as to why some of the updates were not getting
> installed.  I noticed during yum update that kmod-nvidia was taking
> forever (more than a minute, but then, my system is fully loaded right
> now).   Could that have triggered a time-out?

What repositories do you have enabled? What is the output of the
following command?

yum -v repolist

> On a related note, I have 16 AMD cores, and I am running simulations
> that occupy all of them (with nice set to 10).  Can that affect the
> update process?

It should not.

> (mind you, I'm not a system operator, but a scientist, so these is
> wild speculation)

I almost guarantee that the answers are in the system event log. Go to
RHN, click on the system, choose "Events" in the menu just below the
hostname, then choose "History" to see what happened.