[rhelv6-list] Problems with XFS leaving 0-length files in RHEL 6.2 ... ?

Edmund White ewwhite at mac.com
Sat Oct 13 05:53:20 UTC 2012

What are the names of these files? Can you see when these files are
created? This may not be an XFS-specific issue.

If you *do* move to EL6.3, there is a major change in XFS that can impact
your storage requirements/performance.

A feature named "XFS Dynamic Speculative EOF Preallocation" was committed
to the 2.6.38 kernel in late 2010/early 2011 and made its way into the
EL6.3 distribution this year.

I won't go into full detail here, but I wrote a comprehensive breakdown of
the feature and impact on ServerFault.com this summer.
See: http://serverfault.com/q/406069/13325

--
Edmund White
ewwhite at mac.com