[rhelv6-list] why do errata and package updates fail?

Mirko Vukovic mirko.vukovic at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 16:10:44 UTC 2012

yum update installed 26 packages.  The system shows as up-to-date on RHN.

It is still unresolved as to why some of the updates were not getting
installed.  I noticed during yum update that kmod-nvidia was taking
forever (more than a minute, but then, my system is fully loaded right
now).   Could that have triggered a time-out?

On a related note, I have 16 AMD cores, and I am running simulations
that occupy all of them (with nice set to 10).  Can that affect the
update process?

(mind you, I'm not a system operator, but a scientist, so these is
wild speculation)

Thanks,

Mirko