[rhelv6-list] why do errata and package updates fail?

thomas at redhat.com thomas at redhat.com
Tue Oct 9 20:35:34 UTC 2012

On 10/09/2012 03:04 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 11:31 AM, thomas at redhat.com <thomas at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Not a huge deal, but I've seen some really weird issues with third party
>> repositories like ELRepo and even EPEL. Don't get me wrong, I use EPEL and
>> other third party repositories like ATRPMs, but sometimes it's just...
>> wonky.
>
> I'm not getting you wrong. :-) But it would help if you are a bit more
> specific about the weird issues you have seen. I have been using
> ELRepo packages on my RHEL 6 machine with no apparent "wonky-ness" ...

As a for instance - at one point when I enabled EPEL, I got a newer
version of some python libs that caused weird errors with osad. Another
time, when trying to install VLC from ATRPMs I got a weird package
upgrade loop which required that I use --skip-broken or --exclude.

I can't point to any other specifics right off the top of my head.
Nothing catastrophic, just... wonky.
--
Thomas Cameron, RHCA, RHCSS, RHCDS, RHCVA, RHCX
Chief Architect, Central US

Red Hat named to Forbes 2012 World's Most Innovative Companies list:
http://www.redhat.com/innovation