[rhelv6-list] Availability of fanotify in RHEL6.

Greg Swift greg at nytefyre.net
Tue Oct 16 13:09:21 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 5:52 AM, gaurav sharma <reach2gaurav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/16/2012 10:01 AM, gaurav sharma wrote:
>> > I am working on file event trapping application using fanotify and
>>
>> inotify not good enough ?
>

> Wish  it was for my task, which is also to block access if required :(

So, if its in the upstream kernel, and you have a support contract,
you can open a Request for Enhancement (RFE) ticket w/ RH support.
They should make a bugzilla entry for it.  Avoid giving them any
'sensitive' data that would go into the ticket so that you can get
them to make it public (you have to request that).

Then find other people that want this and get them to back your bugzilla.

Cause without enough momentum behind it they'll let it bitrot (love ya
RH but you've sat on these that were almost completely done for over 5
dot releases and then said,' oh, its too late to add this')

So basically, if you do the leg work, keep on them, and get enough
customer support for the feature you should be able to get it.

Don't distress, its doable.  For every one that I had bitrot, I
usually had at least one that made it in.

Oh, and its too late for RHEL5.

-greg