[rhelv6-list] Partition disappeared?

Clark, Patricia A. clarkpa at ornl.gov
Tue Sep 18 18:32:47 UTC 2012

>Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:12:06 +0300
>From: Janne Blomqvist <Janne.Blomqvist at aalto.fi>
>	<rhelv6-list at redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: [rhelv6-list] Partition disappeared?
>
>On 2012-09-17T17:56:44 EEST, Bryan J Smith wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 4:12 AM, Janne Blomqvist
>> <Janne.Blomqvist at aalto.fi> wrote:
>>> I'm saying that /dev/sda1 doesn't exist. (In fstab it's mounted by
>>>UUID as
>>> RHEL6 sets it up out-of-the-box, but it doesn't find the partition
>>>that way
>>> either).
>>
>> Are there any references to the partition under the tree /dev/disk?
>
>Under /dev/disk/by-uuid there is
>
>f430afb7-6da6-45c6-a15f-95d010fed1f9 -> ../../sda1
>
>but that is a dangling symlink. For comparison, links to /dev/sda2 are
>found at
>
>dev/disk/by-id/scsi-3600508b1001ca26eb450917ecf4f6567-part2 ->
>../../sda2
>/dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x600508b1001ca26eb450917ecf4f6567-part2 ->
>../../sda2
>/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:0c:00.0-scsi-0:0:0:1-part2 -> ../../sda2
>
>(There is no link to sda2 under by-uuid/, maybe because sda2 holds an
>LVM volume.)
>
>> I'm curious here why the "Model" is listed as ...
>>    "HP LOGICAL VOLUME"
>
>Hmm, what can I say.. The controller is a HP Smart Array P410i, a
>"standard" raid controller that HP ships on a lot of their servers.
>It's controlled by the "hpsa" driver, in older kernel versions the
>"cciss" driver. The controller itself has some rudimentary volume
>management functionality, maybe that's why it calls itself "HP LOGICAL
>VOLUME".
>
>> I'm curious if there is some sort of vendor driver/modification in the
>> initrd,
>
>The HP Proliant Support Pack (PSP) is installed, which contains some
>updated drivers (yes, including hpsa), anything particular to look out
>for?
>
>(That being said, since I cannot access /boot it's difficult to say
>whether initramfs has been modified..)
>
>> or some other udev, dm-mpio or other filtering going on (also
>> possibly in the initrd).
>
>Yes, we use dm-multipath for some FC luns, but the blacklisting there
>should only affect the creation of the dm-mp devices, no?
>

>--
>Janne Blomqvist

I have an HP server with the same controller and parted produces the same
information, so I don't believe there is an issue there.  I've not lost my
partition setup and I have 2 different raid devices presented by the HP
controller.  You snipped your dmesg output and did not include the
remaining lines beginning with sd and indicating the attaching of the SCSI
disk and the partitions that it identified.  Both sda1 and sda2 should be
there.

Beyond that, dracut should be scanning and identifying the LVMs.

If you don't have /dev/sda /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2, there may be something
from hpsa that you need to take a look at.  It's possible  that something
is overwriting the partition table or there is a bad spot on the disk
where the partition table resides.  Also, /var/log/messages may have
something that dmesg doesn't.

Patti Clark
Sr Linux System Administrator
Research and Development Systems Support Oak Ridge National Laboratory