[rhelv6-list] RH EL 5.8 and multipath with Netapp

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 10:25:40 UTC 2012

Hello,
I'm going to configure multipath on a server (Dell M610) with RH EL
5.8 (kernel 2.6.18-308.8.2.el5).
It will be connected to a Netapp storage array (FAS3240 with fw ONTAP 8.1P3).

I found this closed bug (resoled in 2.6.18-238.el5) regarding ALUA
problems in 5.5:  619361
In particular there is a reference to disabling ALUA at Linux side
putting prio_callout to
mpath_prio_ontap
instead of
mpath_prio_alua
in multipath.conf.

My /usr/share/doc/device-mapper-multipath-0.4.7/multipath.conf.defaults
(from device-mapper-multipath-0.4.7-48.el5_8.1) still contains this
for NETAPP vendor:

#       device {
#               vendor                  "NETAPP"
#               product                 "LUN"
#               getuid_callout          "/sbin/scsi_id -g -u -s /block/%n"
#               prio_callout            "/sbin/mpath_prio_ontap /dev/%n"
#               features                "1 queue_if_no_path"
#               hardware_handler        "0"
#               path_grouping_policy    group_by_prio
#               failback                immediate
#               rr_weight               uniform
#               rr_min_io               128
#               path_checker            directio
#       }

Does this mean that keeping the defaults, even if ALUA is configured
(and default in this version) on Netapp side, my server will not use
it?
Is only the doc file wrong or a too conservative default or anything else?
Three months ago I ran some preliminary tests without particular
problems and without putting anything in multipath.conf,  but now I
have some doubts about the final config...

Anyone already configuring multipath on Netapp?
Thanks in advance,

Gianluca