[rhelv6-list] MD devices lost after boot

Roth, Sandro Sandro.Roth at zurich-airport.com
Thu Sep 27 07:05:35 UTC 2012

Hi experts

I wasn't sure where to post this so I'm sending it to this list.

We have a setup which uses lvm over md over multipath devices. (at least that's the plan)
According to this article it is supported in RHEL6 (it wasn't in RHEL5)
https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/solutions/48634

I created my md device as follows
# mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/mapper/mpatha /dev/mapper/mpathb

/etc/mdadm.conf has the following content
DEVICE /dev/mapper/mpath*
ARRAY /dev/md/0 metadata=1.2 UUID=52bd4011:f61badd6:0e63e7bb:2448596b name=spch9003.zrh.local:0

Then some lvm stuff on /dev/md0. Everything works fine.
But after a reboot the md device won't get assembled automatically.

/proc/mdstat shows
Personalities :
unused devices: <none>

And therefore nothing gets mounted either, obviously.
I have to

# mdadm -As
mdadm: /dev/md/0 has been started with 2 drives.
# vgchange -ay datavg1
  1 logical volume(s) in volume group "datavg1" now active
# mount /data

I've done my part of googleing and a lot of people suggest creating a new initrd when everything is running.
So I went...

# dracut -f
# init 6

No change, still won't get assembled.
Any ideas? I'm sure I'm just missing a configuration step..

# uname -r; rpm -q mdadm
2.6.32-279.5.1.el6.x86_64
mdadm-3.2.3-9.el6.x86_64

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Sandro Roth

Systems Engineer

IT-Operations

Flughafen Zürich AG
Postfach
CH-8058 Zürich-Flughafen

www.flughafen-zuerich.ch

Tel.

+41 (0)43 816 10 58

Mobile

+41 (0)76 356 71 19

Fax

+41 (0)43 816 76 90

This email message and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and destroy the original transmittal. You are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Thank you for your cooperation.

Header information contained in E-mails to and from the company are monitored for operational reasons in accordance with swiss data protection act.