[rhelv6-list] Antwort: Re: MD devices lost after boot

Brian Long brilong at cisco.com
Thu Sep 27 12:05:16 UTC 2012

On Sep 27, 2012, at 7:49 AM, Andreas Reschke wrote:

> rhelv6-list-bounces at redhat.com schrieb am 27.09.2012 13:37:29:
>
> > Brian Long <brilong at cisco.com>
> > Gesendet von: rhelv6-list-bounces at redhat.com
> >
> > 27.09.2012 13:39
> >
> > Bitte antworten an
> > "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 \(Santiago\) discussion mailing-list"
> > <rhelv6-list at redhat.com>
> >
> > An
> >
> > "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (Santiago) discussion mailing-list"
> > <rhelv6-list at redhat.com>
> >
> > Kopie
> >
> > Thema
> >
> > Re: [rhelv6-list] MD devices lost after boot
> >
> > On Sep 27, 2012, at 3:05 AM, Roth, Sandro wrote:
> >
> > Hi experts
> >
> > I wasn’t sure where to post this so I’m sending it to this list.
> >
> > We have a setup which uses lvm over md over multipath devices. (at
> > least that’s the plan)
> > According to this article it is supported in RHEL6 (it wasn’t in RHEL5)
> > https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/solutions/48634
> >
> > I created my md device as follows
> > # mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/
> > mapper/mpatha /dev/mapper/mpathb
> >
> > Do /dev/mapper/mpatha and mpathb have partition type of "fd - Linux
> > RAID auto"?  If not, they won't be set up properly when booting the server.
> >
> > /Brian/_______________________________________________
> > rhelv6-list mailing list
> > rhelv6-list at redhat.com
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> sorry you're not right. There is no need for partitions with lvm. You can use the whole disk without partitions.

Something is broken with your email client since it's not maintaining threads properly (and it's prepending "Antwort:").

Last I knew, if you didn't use partitions with MD and/or LVM, certain things wouldn't work properly.  I always create a single whole-disk partition and give it a "fd" type.  I think this is still the best practice although it's not a requirement.

/Brian/

--
       Brian Long                             |       |
       Corporate Security Programs Org    . | | | . | | | .