[rhelv6-list] RHEL6.2 XFS brutal performence with lots of files

Daryl Herzmann akrherz at iastate.edu
Mon Apr 15 15:01:29 UTC 2013

Thanks for the response.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 9:30 AM, Brian Long (brilong) <brilong at cisco.com>wrote:

> What is the underlying hardware for this 20-30TB XFS filesystem that comes
> to a halt each time you try large removals?

Its a software RAID5 of 5 3TB disks.  So its around 12 TB.

>  Is this server-class hardware with SAS disks or a desktop-class
> motherboard with a bunch of large SATA disks?

Its a Dell Poweredge T410 with a
LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon],
the drives are:

Seagate Barracuda (SATA 3Gb/s) ST3000DM001-9YN166

>  I wonder if the underlying hardware could be part of the problem.

I know for sure the current sysadmin is the problem, but figuring out what
he (I) is doing wrong is the task at hand.  I've got other T410s with this
setup as well on ext4 and don't see these problems.

daryl