[rhelv6-list] vim settings

Tue Apr 9 15:48:48 UTC 2013

> I have ~/.vimrc with 'set tw=120', but for one particular text file vim
> keeps going to the next line at the column 80. When I use vim to open a
> new file, this does not happen.
>
> For this particular file, if I use vim -u ~/.vimrc then everything goes
> fine.  And if this file is renamed to a new file with an extension
> different than .txt, then vim works as expected ( new line at column 120 ).

The standard /etc/vimrc includes this bit:

  " In text files, always limit the width of text to 78 characters
  autocmd BufRead *.txt set tw=78

If you don't want that (or any of the other autocmd entries from
/etc/vimrc), putting the following line in your ~/.vimrc should disable
them:

  augroup! redhat

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>