[rhelv6-list] Problem with vlan during kickstart and rhel 6.4

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 23:19:55 UTC 2013

Hello,
during a kickstart install of a 6.4 system, my boot line is something like

kernel /boot/vmlinuz ks=http://x.y.w.z/ks.cfg vlanid=311
ksdevice=my_mac ip=my_ip netmask=my_nm gateway=my_gw

inside the downloaded ks there is a line such as
network --bootproto=static --ip=my_ip --netmask=my_nm --gateway=mw_gw
--device=eth0 --vlanid=311

I use network install in kickstart with this directive:
url --url http://x.y.w.z/rhel6

The installation starts ok, but after about 70-80 packages it gives
error about downloading rpm files.

Going to F2 console I can see that the command
ip addr list

1) at the beginning of installation during first 70 packages' install
has no ip associated with eth0
has the specified ip associated with eth0.311 at eth0

2) when it raises error about downloading packages
has the ip associated with both eth0 and eth0.311. at eth0
and the server cannot ping the gw

As soon as I run at F2 console

ip addr del my_ip dev eth0

and select "retry" at the installation screen, it completes correctly.
But at boot the problem remains because both eth0 and eth0.311 have
the ip in their config file.
So that I have to manually remove from ifcfg-eth0 and reload the network service

Is this a bug of NetworkManager during install or my fault in
specifying vlan parameters?
Perhaps I should use inside the kickstart file soething liske:

network --bootproto=static --ip=my_ip --netmask=my_nm --gateway=mw_gw
--device=eth0.311 --vlanid=311
?

After install NetworkManager is disabled but I can see that it is
there during install: is there a way to not have NM during install too
but use old plain network service..?

Thanks in advance
Gianluca