[rhelv6-list] live media on USB 3 ports

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Fri Aug 16 18:18:25 UTC 2013

The issue is that the USB 3 extensions are handled by the newish
xhci-hcd.ko driver, which is not placed in the /isolinux/initrd0.img
when the Live CDROM or DVD is created.

On other platforms, such as Ubuntu, the driver is built into the kernel:
/isolinux/vmlinuz0

There does not appear to be a method to inject this driver into the Live
image properly.

When the Live USB device is created, the program simply copies these
files from the Live CD image from which it is built, and therefore,
there is no good way to inject a driver into that process, either.

We note that Ubuntu builds the achi drivers into the kernel, where most
others do not.  This is probably a good reason why they do.

The most correct method for us then, is to build our own kernel to be
used in the Live media preparations if they are expected to be bootable
on USB 3 ports.

YUCK