[rhelv6-list] live media on USB 3 ports

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Fri Aug 16 19:57:32 UTC 2013

On 08/16/2013 01:16 PM, Brian Long (brilong) wrote:
> On Aug 16, 2013, at 3:09 PM, Phil Meyer <pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com> wrote:

>>> Which Live CDROM or DVD are you talking about?  As far as I
>>> understand, there is no LiveCD for RHEL6.
>>>
>>> Are you talking about the anaconda install DVD image?
>>>
>> I should have also said that this LiveCD is a prototype, and it may ship as RHEL.
> Phil,
> I've not built my own RHEL install media in about 5 years, but it used to be you could alter the anaconda configuration to bring in extra kernel modules to the initrd.  Which method are you currently using to build the media?
>
> Could you just add the XHCI kernel module to your initrd manually?
>
> /Brian/

Yes, but there are TWO initrd images on a live cd image.  The one in

/isolinux/initrd0.img is generated by the livecd-creator python stuff, and I am unable to see how it happens, and there is no command line option to add kernel modules.  Inside the post-install I can, and do, force the issue with a dracut command to rebuild the initrd the system would normally see if it were running from a hard drive.

The initrd that is used at boot time is NOT the same as the initrd that is inside the squashfs.