[rhelv6-list] trying to get ldap system authentication working via nslcd

Jason Welsh jawelsh at cisco.com
Fri Aug 23 15:03:26 UTC 2013

hey folks, Im using a RHEL 6.4 server and I am trying to set up system ldap authentication via nslcd.conf and I have the authenticated bind working, but I cannot get the system to recognize users when
i do a "su - userid"

im pretty sure its my filter thats not right.. Im not quite sure what my filter and map statements should look like.

right now, im using a simple filter in nslcd.conf like

filter passwd (objectClass=User)

when i sniff the transaction to the ldap server (not using encryption yet)
i see the client bind to the ldap server, and in the search request, i see
Filter: (&(objectClass=posixGroup)(memberUid=tcpdump))

huh? tcpdump user?  o_O
and of course 0 results come back.

any ideas why this is happening?
Any suggestions on a better filter/map to use?

regards,
Jason

--
Jason Welsh