[rhelv6-list] rhel6.4 kernel breaks server hardware vendor mgmt tools

Fri Feb 22 10:47:59 UTC 2013

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 22:31:16 +0100
"Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 \(Santiago\) discussion mailing-list"
<rhelv6-list at redhat.com> wrote:

> The decision to statically link the IPMI kernel modules in rhel6.4
> breaks various vendor hardware management tools. So far I've confirmed
> that Dell Openmanage Server Administrator (OMSA) and HP Proliant
> support pack depend on those modules being standalone like before.
> These tools don't work with the 6.4 kernel.
>
> It's probably just the init scripts for the services that need to be
> fixed in order to work with statically linked IPMI modules, but out of
> the box these services are broken.
>
> Just a heads-up for anyone planning to upgrade their physical servers
> to rhel6.4.

FWIW, I've had no problem using Dell's CLI update_firmware after
updating to RHEL 6.4, and that's part of OMSA. I did notice that
the ipmi_si and ipmi_msghandler modules were no longer there (since I
typically try to manually load them), but bootstrap_firmware,
inventory_firwmare and update_firmware all worked fine.

This was a PE2950 on which I updated the main BIOS, the PERC6/i, the
Broadcom NICs and the Seagate SAS disks.

Maybe you were referring to some other parts of OMSA, in which case I'd
be interested in knowing which.

Matthias

--
            Matthias Saou                  ██          ██