[rhelv6-list] rhel6.4 kernel breaks server hardware vendor mgmt tools

Mon Feb 25 13:17:08 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 11:44:07AM +0100, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (Santiago) discussion mailing-list wrote:
> Am 21.02.2013 22:31, schrieb Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (Santiago)
> discussion mailing-list:
> >
> >Hi all,
> >
> >The decision to statically link the IPMI kernel modules in rhel6.4
> >breaks various vendor hardware management tools. So far I've confirmed
> >that Dell Openmanage Server Administrator (OMSA) and HP Proliant support
> >pack depend on those modules being standalone like before. These tools
> >don't work with the 6.4 kernel.
> >
> >It's probably just the init scripts for the services that need to be
> >fixed in order to work with statically linked IPMI modules, but out of
> >the box these services are broken.
>
> Have you had the chance to take a look at the OMSA stuff?
> If it is really only the init script?
>
> Thx
> Rainer

Try the following to get OMSA working:

        yum install OpenIPMI
        chkconfig ipmi on
        service ipmi start
        /opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/srvadmin-services.sh restart

That also got OMSA working on a PowerEdge C2100 with OMSA 7.1.0.  Without
OpenIMPI the C2100 had the same symptoms (no hardware/storage info in OMSA).

Jim