[rhelv6-list] 6.4 anyone?

Thu Feb 21 14:38:11 UTC 2013

On 21/02/2013 09:04, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (Santiago) discussion
mailing-list wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (Santiago)
> discussion mailing-list  wrote:
>> On Feb 21, 2013, at 4:48 AM, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (Santiago) discussion mailing-list wrote:

>>> I see that on RHN if you download rh el 6 you now gets 6.4....
>>>
>>> But why don't they first announce it (at list on mailing lists) and
>>> only after officially release updates?
>> People complain either way.  :)  They try to have all individual RPM updates in the appropriate channels, then send the announcement.
>>
> I think it would be better to post the official announcement and at
> the same time communicate that they are going to feed the
> mirrors/channels in the next/few hours... more fair in my opinion than
> what is currently in place.
> Or conversely configure by default that one system will stay at its
> minor version unless manually change.
>
> BTW: in 5.9 should be present an option to force a system in its minor
> version (I read this on release notes), but I didn't find how to
> realize that and I don't know if this was already possible in 6.3/6.4
>
> Gianluca

To take it one step further, I would like to see an announcement go out
on the lists a week in advance so that we know it is coming.
A couple of times now I have had maintenance scheduled on my production
servers with everything prepared the night before and then found 100+
extra packages ready for install the next morning due to a new release.
Could there not be a prior announcement made stating the time frame when
the repositories will be updated with the current release. It would also
prevent us from scheduling upgrades during that period and therefore
help them out a bit with any load issues during the repository
synchronization.

Just my two cents.
Cale